Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Weekly update

Since the GMAA 15k, my training has continued to be spotty, with some good days and some off days.

Monday and Tuesday of last week I spent 17 miles in the Gordon Woods, getting our 5k and 8k courses ironed out for the Pop Crowell Invitational later this month. I'm really happy with the simplicity of the women's course and the fact that I got the start and finish in the woods, eliminating any pavement at all. The first loop of the men's course is a little dodgy.

I still have a 6k to map out for our conference (CCC) meet that we host in early November.

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday I got in 14, 12 and 15 miles on the roads in the heat at 6:32, 6:21 and 6:43 pace, respectively.

Friday night we (family) headed up to Pawtuckaway State Park in NH for a weekend or a night of camping, depending on the weather and how the kids did all in one tent. I was optimistic that I might meet up with Brandon Newbould for a running tour of the park on Saturday or Sunday or both. Unfortunately, technology failed me and I got the text too late, missing out on a Saturday morning run. As the day wore on, I pushed my plans to run back, and when it became evident that we weren't staying a second night, I decided to wait until we got home. We stopped for dinner, I had a beer, we got ice cream after...needless to say, by the time we made it back to the Grove and had everyone in bed, the last thing I could imagine doing was lacing up and heading out into the dark at the tail end of a thunderstorm to get some miles.

When Sunday rolled around, I lost the drive (or just continued Saturday's lost drive) and never made it out. For whatever reason, I really just didn't want to run.

By Monday, my (mental) health was depending on my getting out, and after the first mile or so, which was an absolute slog-fest nightmare, I got back into it for 12 miles at 6:30 pace.

Yesterday (Tuesday), I had my first run in almost 4 months with my Gordon running buddy, Nate. Nate spent his summer (like every summer) in the Adirondacks, directing Gordon's La Vida program. Even though his runs have been few and far between, he had no problem clicking off 7:03's for 5 and a half on the roads.

Today I did a little over 4 in the morning at 6 am practice with the team, then got out for 10 and a half by myself at 1 pm, out and back to the top of the hill at Gordon-Conwell.

Goal for Lone Gull: improve on last year's 32:21 and help CMS win gold.

1 comment: