Saturday, August 12, 2017

mid-August update

Well, it's been my most productive week running in some time, with a six-day streak going. I even got to enjoy a progression-run with a couple of my former Ipswich athletes on Tuesday evening and felt pretty good approaching 6:00/mi. for a few miles.

Running with a torn meniscus is going to be a test, though. It seems like whenever I earnestly  try to return to regular running, the daily inflammation gets worse. I suppose cutting out IPA's and cinnamon rolls might help with reducing inflammation, but I haven't really changed my eating habits much from the days when I was running a lot more than I am now.

I was told that the tear I have is "inoperable" and I've been encouraged to get a second opinion about that, but the more I read about meniscus tears, the more it seems like you just have to take what you can get from them. Sometimes surgery is effective, sometimes not. Sometimes they hurt, sometimes they don't. I have to say that the daily ache now is much easier to abide than the locking and shooting pain that I was dealing with a few months ago when I wasn't running.

I guess the long-term prognosis for running on a torn meniscus isn't great, but I'm not sure the long-term prognosis for any runner is all that promising. We all get slower as we age, our bodies break down, we return to dust.  And now, I think I'll eat this cinnamon roll and figure out what I can handle on the roads later today.

1 comment: