Saturday, January 6, 2018

3 more days of snow and cold

Thursday I was up early and there was a big storm coming, so I made some coffee and had breakfast with Heather then bundled up and headed out around town in the dark for a few miles while Heather got on the treadmill. A little over 5 miles at around 8:00/mi. Spent some good hours shovelling after that, and then, on a whim, I threw on my snowshoes and a headlamp after the kids were in bed and trudged around the snowy swamp for 20 minutes or so. I started out trying to run, but the snow was deep (12"+) and eventually it was more of a hands on knees slog. Then I swung back by the house and let Bear out on the fun.

Yesterday it was back to bitter cold, and I contemplated the treadmill, but ended up testing out the roads. They were pretty clear and snow even seemed to be melting in the late morning sun, despite the frigid temps. Mostly I stayed on the shoulder, but hopped onto the sidewalks in spots, where they had been plowed down to an inch or two. Even had a few consecutive sidewalk strides on beautiful pavement. I ran my eight mile Wenham loop in just under an hour.

Today it was 10 degrees by midday, which was warmer than the forecast high, and the sun was strong again, so I went out again. Just a little over 6 miles, including a good hill in a neighborhood I don't usually run in. Tomorrow is the last of the super cold days, then we may see forties a couple times later in the week. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment